Sunday, May 23, 2010

More lace finally

I finally finished the next piece of lace for the Elizabethan Smock. This one took a long time to complete. It was 18 inches long and used 52 bobbins. While this is not a huge number, it is the most I have used so far.

The piece in the middle is the new one. This picture shows all the pieces I have completed so far. That is 6 out of 19. This is going to take me years to finish. Some of the pieces which I still have to do are quite small and will not take long, but there is also at least one more piece like the one I just finished. The original is on page 60 of Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion IV. I have made a major change in the pattern. There are 2 smocks in this book. One has straight inserts of needlelace and the other has diagonal inserts of bobbinlace. I decided I liked the look of the straight inserts, but wanted to do them in bobbinlace. The two garments are so closely related, I feel secure in making that change. I have tried to stay with the same general type of lace patterns. The pictures of the lace in the book are not quite close enough for me to try to do a replication of the actual patterns of the original smock. anyway, 6 down 13 to go.

No comments: