Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Baroness' scroll

I just got back from a trip to Quebec. I went up for the Barony of Havre de Glaces investiture. I made a scroll for the incoming baroness. since we were in Quebec, I asked the incoming Baron to traslate it into French for me. Unfortunately I am not conversant in that language. The scroll itself is based on a 16th C Persian piece. I used a pseudo-Farsi calligraphy to stay within the feel of the original piece while still being able to read it. I did this once before for my daughters AOA, but in that instance I wrote from right to left to make it look a little more exotic. This time I decided I had better stick with left to right since I was copying a language with which I am not that familiar. I figured it would be hard enough to write the French without doing it backwards also. The gold work is done with Schminke's guoache. This scroll is mainly about the legal wording so I kept the ornamentation to a minimum. The wording was taken from a 16th C English charter for a burgess. I did shorten the wording quite a bit. It was incredibly long. It still came out sounding pretty long in court. I did leave some of the more amusing archaic references. For example she was given permission to chose a catchpole and "taster of ale" and present them at court. There were a couple of volunteers in the audience for the ale tasting.
This is scroll #31 for the A&S 50 challenge. Only 19 left to go, and still 5 years. I think I am going to make it on this challenge. I did slow down quite a bit over the last year, but I also still have a lot of time.

No comments: