Saturday, November 19, 2011

Scroll #37

I was recently given the opportunity to make a scroll for a dear friend of mine. She was being awarded a court baroncy for service to the current reign, and many previous reigns. It seemed to me to be the best bet to make a Book of Kells stule scroll. This piece took quite a bit of time. There is a great deal of very tiny details which are not very visible in this picture. This was also the first time I attempted to use watercolor as a wash over the goauche I usually use. In the Book of Kells there are indications that they used a wash of tranperant color over a more matte color. Some of the pages of the original book have water damage which shows how the wash was applied. I was extremely happy to be given the priviledge to make this piece.




No comments: