Sunday, February 25, 2018

The garlic is up

It might not look like much yet, but I consider this a win. My son is a professional farmer. He plants the field right next to the plot I use as a garden. This year he planted that field in garlic. The day after he and his crew were done planting I was walking over to the greenhouse when I crossed over the area they had been separating the garlic cloves to plant. In among the papery outer covering there were a few cloves that had been dropped or were considered to small to worry about. In the true manner of a medieval style gleaning, I picked up the abandoned cloves and planted them myself. There had been a freeze overnight so the cloves had gotten very cold, and I was afraid they had been frozen and killed. Therefore when I saw some of them coming up, I was thrilled. The fact that they are coming up in February is another matter. I am sure we will have an end to the unseasonable warmth any day, and the tops will die off again. Hopefully, some of them will live to grow up though.


No comments: