Thursday, March 8, 2018

Onions and leeks are started

Here we go for this year. This are the trays with onions and leeks starting. This is the first year I am trying to start them from seeds instead of buying started plants. The onions are named "Blush". They are a pink skinned variety which has been popular in France for centuries, but not very common in this country. The leeks are a variety named "Large American flag", but also known as "Giant Musselburgh". I totally prefer the earlier name, and will call them by it. They are listed as an heirloom variety from 1870. That was about the earliest leek variety I could find.

We have had a great deal of rain the last couple weeks, and all the gardens are flooded. I hope the barley lived through it, but at the moment I can't even see any of the plants. we grew some barley last year, but it was not enough to make a dish for 50 people so I saved it for seed this year. I decided to plant it in the fall and hope for an early crop. We will see when the soil warms up some more whether that is going to work.

In the mean time, I started some turnips and cabbage in the greenhouse in the fall last year. I was hoping the unheated greenhouse would stay warm enough to keep them growing. We suffered a real brutal cold snap, and the door of the greenhouse blew open. I thought all the plants had died, but found the turnips did live through it. Most of the cabbage died, but there are about 7 plants still alive. I need to stop by and weed them. so sometime in the spring we will have turnips and cabbage if I manage to catch the cabbage before it bolts in the warm termperatures.

No comments: